Newsnight and UN sanctions on Iraq

For those of you who saw Newsnight last night:

Claudia Milne
BBC Newsnight

Dear Ms. Milne.

I am a lecturer in international politics at the University
of Bristol engaged in research on the UN Security Council
sanctions on Iraq. I have done various pieces on work for Newsnight
on international crises over the years.

I saw the item last night on the UN Security Council
sanctions on Iraq, and I was very concerned by a number of
demonstrable, important and I am sure unintentionally
misleading inaccuracies in the report of your Diplomatic
Editor Mark Urban which were wholly in line with the
Foreign Office position and which are contradicted by the
UN documents on which they are supposed to be based. Let me
indicate just one of these:

Urban: ‘powerful evidence from one of its [the UN’s] own
organisations [UNICEF], showing how Iraq may have been
sacrificing its own people for propaganda ... the UN has
brought a small improvement. But, where Saddam rules,
children die in increasing numbers, something those running
the UN programme can hint at, but never bluntly say’.

My response: The British government has made the most of
the contrasts between the north of Iraq which is
UN-controlled and the centre and south of the country where
the programme is administered directly by the Iraqi
government and monitored by the UN. Foreign Secretary Robin
Cook said of northern Iraq that 'it is no accident that the
people are hugely better off ... The contrast with the rest
of the country could not be starker’.  UNICEF calculated
that the mortality rate among children under five in the
north fell between 1979 and 1989, rose until 1994, and then
fell again until 1999 (to below the rate for 1979 to 1989).
In contrast, it calculated for the centre and south of Iraq
fell during the 1980s but rose catastrophically during the
1990s to result in around 500,000 excess deaths among
children under five.  All reports confirm the contrast: the
narrative at issue here is what explains that contrast. The
Foreign Office presents it as proof that the deaths are
caused not by the sanctions but by Saddam Hussein alone.

Those running the UN programme DO bluntly point out the
contrast, and bluntly contest the claim that the contrast
is due to a deliberate attempt by Saddam Hussein to keep
child mortality high. According to UNICEF: ‘the difference
in the current rate [of child mortality] cannot be
attributed to the differing ways the Oil-for-Food Program is
implemented in the two parts of Iraq. The Oil-for-Food
Program is two and a half years old. Therefore it is too
soon to measure any significant impact of the Oil-for-Food
Program on child mortality over the five year period of
1994-1999 as reported in these surveys.’  Caroline Bellamy,
Executive Director of UNICEF, says there are a number of
reasons for the difference - sanctions have been more easy
to evade in the north, agriculture is easier there, and it
has been receiving aid for a much longer period.  Indeed
aid began arriving in the north in 1991 whereas it began to
arrive in the rest of the country only in 1997, and in
large quantities only from the spring of 1998. In addition,
according to Richard Garfield, a Columbia University
epidemiologist who has studied the effects of the sanctions
on Iraq,  the north gets 22 per cent more per capita from
the oil sales programme; gets 10 per cent of the funds
raised in cash (unlike the centre and south which gets only
commodities); and gets aid from 34 Non-Governmental
Organisations (NGOs) compared to eleven in the centre and
south.  On this basis, the narrative that the difference is
caused by harsher sanctions rather than harsher Saddam is
much more plausible.

I would be happy to supply you with the fully referenced
research on which my statements are based and to supply you
with further research in future when you plan to cover this
issue again.

Yours sincerely,

Eric Herring
----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics
University of Bristol
10 Priory Road
Bristol BS8 1TU
England, UK
Tel. +44-(0)117-928-8582
Fax +44-(0)117-973-2133
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Politics
eric.herring@bristol.ac.uk

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not send emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***