Foreign Office Questions

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200001/cmhansrd/cm010227/debtext/10227-02.htm#10227-02_wqn0

3. Mr. Bill Michie (Sheffield, Heeley): What UN Security Council meetings
are planned in the next three months to discuss policy towards Iraq.
[149703]

The Minister of State, Foreign and Commonwealth Office (Mr. Brian Wilson):
To date, the Security Council has scheduled meetings on Iraq issues on 8
March, 31 March and an unspecified date in April. In addition, the Iraq
sanctions committee meets on a regular basis to discuss all aspects of Iraq
policy.

Mr. Michie: The situation is serious and future loss of life on both
sides--by accident or design--is a stark reality. Since I accepted what was
at the time the King's shilling and wore uniform, I have been convinced that
politicians who vote for war and armed conflict should be the first on the
front line, thus possibly avoiding future
conflicts throughout the world. Will my hon. Friend talk to my right hon.
Friend the Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs to find
an alternative to break the deadlock before more lives are lost, because two
wrongs do not make a right?

Mr. Wilson: My hon. Friend would agree that continuing a wrong does not make
a right, and that is what we confront in the Iraqi regime. I am pleased to
spell out the differentiation. Nothing that we or the United Nations do is
intended to hurt the Iraqi people; that is not the purpose. The purpose is
most definitely to prevent the
Iraqi regime from developing weapons of mass destruction, from attacking its
neighbours--as it did 10 years ago--or from using chemical weapons against
its own people, as it also did in the not-so-distant past. Let us keep the
balance right and implement policy as effectively as possible. We must not
abandon our resolve to
prevent the Iraqi regime from acting in the way that I have described.

Mr. Menzies Campbell (North-East Fife): May I welcome the Minister to what I
believe is his first Foreign Office Question Time? If any information were
required on the need to review policy towards Iraq, was it not to be found
in the rather cold and frigid reception for Colin Powell as he toured Arab
capitals over the
past two or three days? With three out of five of the permanent members of
the Security Council no longer supporting the

27 Feb 2001 : Column 698

sanctions regime and no Arab Government, apart from Kuwait, being prepared
to offer public support for the regime, is it not now time to do what the
Minister was hinting at over the weekend, which is to institute a full-scale
review of policy towards Iraq, out of which should come a sanctions regime
that is related to military and
dual-use equipment, but excludes non-military sanctions?

Mr. Wilson: The purpose of the sanctions regime and that of United Nations
Security Council resolutions is to achieve exactly what the right hon. and
learned Gentleman has described: to target the military capacity of Saddam
Hussein. Of course, there are items that fall into the dual-use category.

It is no part of my intention, or anyone else's, that humanitarian goods
should be caught up in the sanctions regime. As I have said, if there are
concrete examples of that happening, they should be drawn to the attention
of the Government and the UN sanctions committee. Merely to assert that
there are such examples plays into the propaganda efforts of Saddam Hussein,
in whose interests it is to claim that, by definition, if we prevent him
from building weapons of mass destruction, we are visiting humanitarian
suffering upon his people.

That is not true. Saddam Hussein is inflicting that suffering, as I am sure
the right hon. and learned Gentleman well knows. There is $11 billion lying
in bank accounts that Saddam Hussein could be using for the humanitarian
good of his own people. He chooses not to do so because he prefers the
propaganda value of that $11
billion to the practical effect of the money.

Ms Diane Abbott (Hackney, North and Stoke Newington): My hon. Friend the
Minister has said that anyone who points to the dire humanitarian
consequences of the sanctions regime against Iraq is a dupe. He will be
aware that two successive UN co-ordinators in the regime have both said
clearly and publicly throughout the world that there are massive
humanitarian consequences of the sanctions regime, and that, as relevant UN
officials, they cannot support it. Does he believe that
they too are dupes?

Mr. Wilson: I said absolutely no such thing. I respect the many people who
are genuinely concerned about the sanctions regime and the way in which
sanctions are implemented. I am not speaking negatively about those who hold
that view which, doubtless, is shared by my hon. Friend. It is positive to
say that we must distinguish between two approaches. One is directed against
weapons of mass destruction, and one is purported to be directed against the
humanitarian interests of
the Iraqi people. In so far as there is purported to be confusion, it serves
only Saddam Hussein. That is why he seeks to imply that one approach is the
inevitable consequence of the other.

If the approach can be better, of course it should be better. Everyone
agrees about that and is trying to take the agenda forward. The logical
conclusion is not to abandon sanctions, to allow the means of developing
weapons of mass destruction--including the development of the chemical
weapons programme--and to allow another attack on Kuwait or anywhere else.
It is in our interests to distinguish the two objectives, and we shall do
that more effectively in future than in the past. The objective remains
clear. The primary objective--which is in the

27 Feb 2001 : Column 699

interests of the world, and of the region--is to stop Saddam Hussein
developing the potential that we are discussing.

Mr. Tom King (Bridgwater): If we ask our brave pilots in the RAF to
undertake challenging and dangerous missions, are they not entitled to
expect the widest support in the United Kingdom and throughout the world
community for the task that they are carrying out, which is of the highest
humanitarian order? If there is concern about whether people understand why
the task is being undertaken, is it not beholden on the Government to ensure
that there is a much clearer picture in
people's minds in the United Kingdom and more widely of the real threats
that are posed to the southern Shia people and the marsh Arabs, given the
brutality and awfulness that was suffered by the people of Kuwait? Will the
Government make a great effort to support our pilots in the task that they
have been given?

Mr. Wilson: The raids of a fortnight ago were launched precisely in pursuit
of that objective and were not an extension of policy towards Iraq. We were
merely saying that if we ask aircrews to cover the southern no-fly zone, we
must make sure that they have the best protection possible. I find it
difficult to believe that we
cannot achieve full consensus on that point, even if on no other. If we ask
our aircrews to do a job, we must protect them. It is as simple as that.

Like me, the right hon. Member for Bridgwater (Mr. King) went to Kuwait at
the weekend, and there are plenty of reminders there that we are not talking
about some hypothetical threat. It is not an invention of paranoid minds
that Saddam Hussein might do certain things in the region; he did them 10
years ago. I am sure that the right hon. Gentleman would join me in wishing
to mention the people whom we met in Kuwait--mothers, daughters and children
of 660 prisoners of war who
have never been accounted for. The Iraqi regime has made no attempt to tell
those prisoners' loved ones whether they are alive or dead or to describe
their treatment. Those people are not propaganda, but real, flesh-and-blood
human beings. If we had some movement from the Iraqi regime on such
questions, some of the other claims made on their behalf might be a little
more credible.

Mr. Steve McCabe (Birmingham, Hall Green): What discussions does my hon.
Friend plan to hold with the Indian authorities and at the United Nations
about the alleged activities of the Delhi-based company NEC Ltd, which is
alleged to be supplying missile material and biological weapons material to
the Iraqi regime? Is that not exactly the type of activity that must be
ended if there are to be any developments in policy towards Iraq?

Mr. Wilson: Any alleged breach of sanctions should be investigated,
including that one. Breaches of sanctions are occurring; we cannot have
sanctions without breaches. However, that does not invalidate the case for
sanctions, which will play the key role in stopping Saddam Hussein
developing weapons of mass destruction. I undertake to write to my hon.
Friend on the specific case to which he referred.

Discussions are taking place, and that is one reason for Colin Powell's
presence in the region during the past few days. He has talked with
representatives of neighbouring

27 Feb 2001 : Column 700

countries to try to persuade them that sanctions must be enforced. Sanctions
were not invented by the Government or by the United States; they are
carried out under United Nations Security Council resolution 1284. The way
out for the Iraqi regime is to allow the inspectors in to see what is going
on. If that happens, sanctions can be suspended and, ultimately, lifted.
That is a simple, straightforward way ahead, but it requires Saddam Hussein
not to develop weapons of mass
destruction or chemical weapons, and not to attack his neighbours. The House
was united on all those objectives 10 years ago, and it should be united
now.