Figures on arrivals of OFF goods in Iraq

Dear all:

I thought this might be of interest.

I have gone through the OIP figures up to 31 March 2001
regarding OFF contracts and goods. See
http://www.un.org/Depts/oip/latest/basicfigures.htm

I worked out the total value of goods per head which have
actually arrived. I simply divided the OFF overall
figure by 22 million:
- Overall $549
- Food $305 (including items purchased for the three
northern governorates by Govt of Iraq under bulk
arrangements countrywide)
- Food handling $25
- Health $56 (including items purchased for the three
northern governates by Govt of Iraq under bulk arrangements
countrywide)
- Oil spares $30
- Electricity $29
- Water/Sanitation $22
- Agriculture $38
- Education $7
- Telecom/transport $3
- Housing $9
- Northern governates (excluding food and medicine
purchased by Govt of Iraq under bulk arrangements
countrywide) $610.3m divided by population figure. I
haven't calculated this as I am unsure of the population
figure.

Per person, other relevant figures are:
- $1,193: value of contracts received by OIP
- $794: value of contracts approved by Sanctions Committee
- $174: value of contracts approved by OIP 'fast track'
- $156: value of contracts on hold

What comes across is just how puny the amounts are. They
seem even more puny when calculated as an amount per person
per year of sanctions. I arrived at these figures by
dividing the above figures by 10.66 (ie the 10 years and 8
months of the sanctions). The figures per person per
year average are:

- Overall $52
- Food $29 (including items purchased for the three
northern governorates by Govt of Iraq under bulk
arrangements countrywide)
- Food handling $2
- Health $5 (including items purchased for the three
northern governates by Govt of Iraq under bulk arrangements
countrywide)
- Oil spares $3
- Electricity $3
- Water/Sanitation $2
- Agriculture $4
- Education 65 cents
- Telecom/transport 28 cents
- Housing 84 cents
- Northern governates (excluding food and medicine
purchased by Govt of Iraq under bulk arrangements
countrywide) $610.3m divided by population figure divided
by 10.66. I haven't calculated this as I am unsure of the
population figure.

These amounts have been supplemented in various ways:
1. government rations outside OFF, 2. non-state smuggling
and black market dollar activities, 3. aid channelled
through the UN (as aid it is outside the UN OFF programme,
which is funded by Iraqi oil sales), 4.  Iraqi state
smuggling (makes the regime about $1.5 bn per year), 5.
selling their assets (right down to books, toys, etc. and
6. pretty marginal economic activity in the dinar economy
within Iraq.

If anyone has any data under these headings I would be very
grateful to see them.

Thanks

Eric

----------------------