From: <info@uncoverIraq.com>
To: <casi-discuss@lists.casi.org.uk>
Sent: Friday, June 07, 2002 2:25 AM
Subject: [casi] The West's unnerving ignorance ...

Two pieces follow on the West's unnerving ignorance of Iraq:

[1] Frank Smyth collects several bits of pie-on-face punditry referring to
Iraq's 'Sunni majority', by such luminaries as Henry Kissinger and the
premiere
American journal, Foreign Affairs.  To wit: "As Foreign Affairs' editors
noted
two issues later: 'Most Iraqis are Shiites. Our apologies.'"  (... though
CASI
members n.b., the offending authors were arguing against rollback.)

[2] Paul Roberts' splendidly written review of Sandra Mackey's "The
Reckoning"
is also notable for its source: the Washington Post.  One wonders what the
Post's editorial board made of the first paragraph, among the most angry and
despairing I've read in the American mainstream.  Is there yet hope?

Regards,
Drew Hamre
Golden Valley, Minnesota USA