Re: [casi] The inconistency of Scott Ritter

 Dear Colleagues,

      With all due respect to Prof. Herring whose own scholarship I admire (as
opposed to that of his anonymous senior U.S. military fellow),  I find it hard to
accept Prof. Herring's  description  of  flim-flam  regarding Maj.  Scott Ritter
as "useful". I fully appreciate the sophistication of CASI readers, but why muddy
the waters further  particularly in the face of a full blown U.S. propaganda
tsunami?

      The establishment's frenzied need here in Washington, D.C. to discredit
Ritter   (coupled with Washington's  uncritical   lionization of Ritter's
nemesis, Butler, who in the grand narrative is beyond criticism ) needs to be
contested particularly after Sen. Biden's sham hearings
.
             I asked  the Senate Foreign Relations Committee for suggestions on
what to tell  students who might ask  how  debate could be so truncated  in a
putative democracy.   Sen. Biden's staffer, a Mr. McDermott,  protested that a
wide spectrum of opinion was being paraded in front of the cameras. He offered
Butler as an example of a  non-Bush-Pearle-Chaney sorta guy. I replied that even
the most servile professor could hardly pass  Butler off  as anything except a
loyal spear carrier for the U.S. government. .

        After hearing several of Ritter's speeches here in D.C., I find his
analysis, in contrast to Butler's,  plausible. Ritter has recognized that he had
bought into the U.S government. trap of malicious  misframing of  a vital problem
(quantitative disarmament to zero which is unattainable and unprovable vs
qualitative disarmament  which is attainable and verifiable). He has learned.. For
some,  such behavior may be a sign of inconsistency. For me it shows integrity and
maturity.  Butler on the other hand shows the iron resolve of consistency at the
price of credibility.

       Disclaimer: I admit to being a colonial simpleton whose mind has been
changed by new evidence on occasion. My mind has also been occasionally changed by
stepping back and examining frames of reference, particularly those imposed on me
from above. I'm certainly fallible and over time some of my views have become
inconsistent with earlier views. I admit to a bias in favor of Major Ritter.

Sincerely,
Tom

P.s.  The lst line of the "useful piece" went missing in the posting.  Here's what
I found when I clicked  on the URL provided in the posting:

Saddam Hussein's American Apologist
>From the November 19, 2001 issue: The strange career of former U.N. arms inspector
Scott Ritter.
by Stephen F. Hayes