Re: [casi] Fw: IRAQ V. AMERICA FOOTBALL MATCH FOR PEACE

Dear Anai and other List Members,

> I can see that side of it, yes - the whole "solidarity" angle. At the same
> time I think it may have been wiser to have the mix as you say, but
possibly
> the mix between Iraqis and Americans - as opposed to a clear cut division
of
> nationalities battling it out.
>
> Whether it is friendly or competitive, the end result may not be so
spirited
> when it comes to those who take it too seriously and are hoping for a
> specific side to lose. I somehow think anything that puts competition on
the
> front burner like that is inappropriate.

When I spoke to the organisers briefly last week there were no sex or age
restrictions on the players. Hopefully, if there are 60 year olds playing
with 6 year olds it won't get 'too serious'.

> I could see, a rally - a
> get-together, a press conference with both sides speaking out - showing a
> commitment to solidarity.. but not a game. There
> is no reason to test one another, even within friendly terms. It just
feels
> a bit misguided to me... but then again - I may just be overly pacifist :)

I suspect the organisers are using their media savvy. A bare press
conference would probably sink without trace in the media pond but a game of
football may manage to generate a few ripples of interest ...

Best wishes,

Gabriel