Re: [casi] Unfree stuff happens to free Iraqis!

Dear Elga,

The picture is still a bit confusing:
While the Wash Post claimed the exclusion of Iraqi firms from reconstruction
for their not being from a country designated as "part of the free world",
now there are several pieces out mentioning the possible inclusion of them
for some 3rd grade jobs - but only as subcontractors.

The lion's share is allocated BY US LEGISLATION to American firms.

E.g. Andrew Natsios (USAID adminstrator) - is quoted:
(Excerpted quote from below):

"...SUBCONTRACTORS CAN APPLY

Natsios said USAID had waived existing U.S. government procurement
restrictions to allow non-American firms to bid for subcontracts and
estimated about half of those companies would be foreign, and many of those
could be Iraqi.

"We are not going to bring in a company to do WHITEWASHING in a school," he
said, citing an example of where an Iraqi firm would be used...."

Best

Andreas
-----------------

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=2684236

USAID's Natsios Defends Iraq Contracts Process
Mon May 5, 2003 12:26 PM ET

By Sue Pleming
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Andrew Natsios, the man in charge of the U.S. Agency
for International Development, is surprised at how much criticism has been
leveled at his agency over the process of awarding contracts to rebuild
Iraq.

Natsios defended bidding rules for lucrative contracts offered to select
U.S. companies and said similar regulations had applied in Afghanistan last
year without attracting the same fanfare.

"I was a little taken aback (at the criticism). I think it has to do with
the opposition to the war in that it sort of spills over into whatever we
do," Natsios, USAID's administrator, said in an interview with Reuters on
Friday.

Democrats, a handful of Republicans and officials in some countries,
including France, which opposed the U.S. invasion of Iraq, have questioned
the transparency of the process and the exclusion of a wider array of local
bidders and foreign firms.

The Iraqi reconstruction project is the largest in scale since the Marshall
Plan in the late 1940s after World War II. So far, nine requests for work in
Iraq have been issued by USAID and seven of those have been awarded.

Natsios expected three more requests to be issued soon for agriculture,
economic governance, and monitoring and evaluation of the capital
reconstruction contract. It was unclear whether new bidding rules would
apply because the war was over.

"As far as our current planning, that would be it," he said, adding he did
not anticipate more funding in the 2004 budget.

USAID said the need to start Iraqi reconstruction quickly meant it had to
rely on emergency provisions to overtake routine bidding rules, which could
have taken six months or more to implement, leaving a vacuum in Iraq.

"If you are asking me if we did the right thing, there's absolutely no
question," Natsios said of the bidding rules.

Federal law, said Natsios, required USAID to choose American companies for
projects funded by U.S. taxpayers.

"No one has said anything about American companies before. Now all of a
sudden it's a big issue," he said.

SUBCONTRACTORS CAN APPLY

Natsios said USAID had waived existing U.S. government procurement
restrictions to allow non-American firms to bid for subcontracts and
estimated about half of those companies would be foreign, and many of those
could be Iraqi.

"We are not going to bring in a company to do whitewashing in a school," he
said, citing an example of where an Iraqi firm would be used.

He said many other nations had the same bidding laws as the United States
but their leaders seemed oblivious to them.

"Many of the political leaders who are raising this are unaware of what the
statutes are in their own country," he said, adding France had among the
strictest laws when it came to bidding for projects funded by taxpayers.

The biggest contract so far has been to repair Iraq's infrastructure, which
went to American company Bechtel Group Inc. and could be worth up to $680
million over 18 months.

The true cost of rebuilding Iraq has not yet been calculated, but some
lawmakers predict funding may reach $100 billion, a number Natsios disputed.

"There has been this illusion that there is a $100 billion reconstruction
program. No one knows how much it will cost even remotely to rebuild the
country," said Natsios.

USAID's aim, he said, was for an elected government in Iraq to ultimately
use oil revenues to rebuild the country.

He also anticipated the World Bank and International Monetary Fund would
have a major role in Iraq's reconstruction efforts and said the World Bank
was doing an early assessment to establish what needed to be done.

Asked about concern, especially by aid agencies, that the United Nations was
not being asked to do more in Iraq, Natsios said reconstruction did not
usually fall to the United Nations, which more frequently had a coordinating
role.

He predicted the United Nations would play a "vital" role in Iraq, adding
the United States had already given $300 million in cash to U.N. agencies
working in Iraq.