[casi] Poland needs UN approval

Poland Says Needs UN Mandate for Iraq Peace Force

http://tinyurl.com/b4ly

Tue May 6, 2003 01:02 PM ET
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Poland said on Tuesday it would need a U.N. Security
Council mandate to take part in a proposed peacekeeping mission in Iraq.
"We believe that we need that kind of resolution. I understand that in days
ahead there will be some initiatives opening the way to have such a
resolution," Foreign Minister Wlodzimierz Cimoszewicz said after talks with
Secretary of State Colin Powell.

Poland has proposed to the United States that its soldiers team up with
German and Danish troops to keep the peace in one region of postwar Iraq,
Polish officials said on Tuesday.

Defense Minister Jerzy Szmajdzinski, in Washington for talks on setting up
an Iraq "stabilization force," said such a unit could be based on a joint
Polish-German-Danish NATO corps now stationed in northwestern Poland

skip
Cimoszewicz discussed the proposal with Powell and told reporters that
Poland wanted as many European countries as possible to take part in the
stabilization force.

"We would like to have as many European partners as possible to work
together with us. To a great extent our common success will depend on that,"
he said.

"If that is done, we can start our task with all of the European potential
partners, of course including Germans."

The minister said he was not singling out Germany as a partner and there
were many other willing governments.

Powell said the United States had good discussions with Poland but did not
mention a possible U.N. resolution.

Berlin, an opponent of the U.S.-led war that toppled Iraqi President Saddam
Hussein, was surprised by the Polish proposal but Defense Minister Peter
Struck would discuss it with European colleagues, his spokesman said in
Berlin.

German newspapers have been blunter, with one dubbing Poland America's
"Trojan ass" and another accusing Warsaw of supplying the United States with
mercenaries.

pg